[Healeys] Beware Pertronix

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 15:58:48 MDT 2012

Per,

A Pertronix switches current 'upstream' of the coil, whereas points switch current to ground 'downstream' of the coil.
Therefore, a Pertronix requires a ground lead on the downstream side of the coil to complete a circuit when the
Pertronix is in the 'charge-the-coil-and-fire-the-spark' state.  You can easily run a ground lead to any good spot in
the engine compartment--for a car without the cutoff/ground switch this is what you'd do--but you'll lose the (minimal)
anti-theft feature from the cutoff switch.  If you move the coil ground (w/b wire) to the battery side of the cutoff
switch--this only requires a larger terminal on the wire--you can retain the anti-theft capability.  The wire doesn't
provide power to anything, it's still a ground lead only it's providing a ground lead for the Pertronix and not a
mechanism to short the coil (when the cutoff switch is in the 'off' position the Pertronix has an open circuit to ground
and can't produce a spark).

Pertronix uses the same lead for power that would otherwise go directly to the coil, thence to the points and ground.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net