[Healeys] Beware Pertronix

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Sun Jul 29 19:00:15 MDT 2012

OK, I dug out my positive-ground Pertronix instructions out.  The +gnd unit has black and b/w wires, not red and black,
and an additional ground lead is required--I used the b/w wire--so the installations are different.  Also, I have a
'troubleshooting guide' that appears to be for neg-gnd cars, which appears to match your installation.

This from the instructions sums it up:  "The black/white Ignitor wire and AWG 20 copper wire should be the only wires
connected to the coil."  Instead of using an AWG 20 wire I used the b/w wire to the cutoff switch relocated as I described.

The b/w wire on the cutoff switch is an open circuit when the cutoff switch is in the 'on' position--unless it's been
modified--so your Pertronix is getting its ground from the coil and/or the distributor (per the troubleshooting
diagram).  I suspect if you turn your cutoff switch to 'off' and jump your neg. battery terminal to ground your car will
start.

I used the terms 'upstream' and 'downstream' hoping to avoid confusion; apparently it didn't work.

Points installation: wire from ignition switch->-/sw terminal on the coil->wire to distributor and points->ground; hence
the points switch to ground

Pos-gnd Pertronix installation: wire from ignition switch->black Ignitor wire->B/W wire from Ignitor->neg/sw terminal on
coil->wire from +/CB terminal on coil to ground; hence the (+gnd) Pertronix switches current prior ('upstream') to the coil

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net