[Healeys] Ignition/starting problems again!!!!

BJ8 Healeys sbyers at ec.rr.com
Thu Jul 26 08:37:04 MDT 2012

Derek, you can remove the original cutoff switch and connect the battery
ground cable directly to the chassis.  You can disconnect the white/black
wire at the switch, but you still have to have it connected at the coil if
it shares the terminal with the white/black wire that goes from the coil to
the distributor.  That what I have done to my BJ8 and it has been that way
for 10 years now.  The white/black wire is still in its normal place, it's
just not connected to the switch in the boot.  Unless both ends of the wire
are connected to something, the wire won't be doing anything but lying there
and going along for the ride (when you get the car started).

If your starter is spinning the engine but the car won't start, then the
starting problem is likely some component in the distributor (points out of
adjustment, the cloth-covered low-tension wire inside the distributor cap
shorting out or broken, bad rotor, bad condenser).  It might be the coil,
but I would bet on the distributor.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry