[Healeys] Installing a BJ8 tranny.

Greg gmandas at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 9 04:03:22 MDT 2012

The tranny is in. YAY!

All your suggestions were a great help.

Plastic clutch alignment tool was the best $8.00 I spent.

When I read Michael's email I RAN downstairs to disconnect the acellerator
linkage. Funny thing, my linkage currently has a 1/2" nut welded to the bottom
of choke cable Bracket in place of the nylon bearing.  I'm wondering if a
clutch job was how the PO broke it.

It was a one an job except for getting it into the firewall. Rotating
clockwise while the top man swung the OD end into the passenger side and the
bottom man guiding, was the key.

Since I had only one jack, I made wooden jig for the jack which lifted the
engine at the back plate and extended rearward giving the tranny something to
rest/slide on as it was moved forward. I replaced the rear tranny mounts and
started to inch it forward from below.  I used extra long bolts as guides and
made sure the bell housing to back plate gap is equidistant all around.

I can tell you there was nothing like it when the tranny moves that final inch
when it slides home home with a clunk.

I did not have the rear main seal modification. I had the local welding shop
fabricate a drip pan.

The throwout bearing had free play in it before and still has after slave
installation.

I wanted to mention each of you by name, but I don't have all the emails to
glean names from and many of the suggestions were from several sources, then I
remembered we're all members of the list. So, thank you MJB.

BTW: the clutch parts went sale after I ordered them. One call to Moss and a
refund for the difference was on my card. Thanks Moss.

Greg

Sent from my iPad