[Healeys] Installing a BJ8 tranny.

Bob Johnson bjsbj8 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:07:07 MDT 2012

I did tranny install by myself, but it has been 30+ years. As I recall, I
used a combination of jacks to align and realign as I progressed. The dummy
shaft part was made on site (did not even know I would need one until I got
started and at that time there was not another Healey owner or shop within
60 miles.) I went to the hardware store and got a 3/4" wooden dowel and cut
it to about 12" long. That fit very well into the flywheel (is that
right?). Then I wrapped masking tape to build out the larger diameter for a
good fit for centering the bearing. Must have worked, still OK today. Just
looked and still have my "custom tool" so that I can send a pic if anyone
wants to see it.

Bob Johnson
BJ8