[Healeys] 3rd Brake LIght

Michael Oritt michael.oritt at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 10:13:55 MDT 2012

Jack and all--

Without debating the conclusions reached in the study I think the increased
effectiveness on cars such as ours, esp. the earliest ones that had minimal
lighting mounted very low to the ground, would be worth the effort.

On my 100 originally all of the rear signal lighting came via two
relatively small lamps which combined tail, brake and signal lights, with
two small reflector pods mounted just above them as a sop to safety.  I
electrified the pods so that my turn signals run through them and have a
multi-segment LED third brake light mounted on the top of the rear scuttle
which goes on along with the bright filament in the original lights when
the brakes are activated.

Anything, including more and brighter bulbs--coupled with defensive
driving--can only help.

Best--Michael Oritt