[Healeys] wire wheel questions

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Fri Jul 6 08:28:41 MDT 2012

Hoo boy ...

I don't have experience with 'factory' tubeless wires, but have run tubeless for many years with 'aftermarket' seals.
In fact, I'm heading to Santa Cruz this morning to pick up a tubeless wire that has been repaired by John Blake of JB's
Wire Wheels (John has some, uh, 'interesting' stories to tell about Dayton and Dunlop and their owners).

Properly applied, the seals work well (John etches the metal prior to applying the sealant).  However, you cannot
tighten the spokes or, of course, true the wheels without breaking/removing/replacing the seal.  Also, as I just found
out the hard/expensive way, when you change tires--e.g. buy new--you run a risk of disturbing the seal and getting
leaks; I had 2 of 5 wheels have this problem.

To me, running tubeless is worth the hassle.  If John ever goes (completely) out of business I may have to reconsider;
there are very few people with the expertise to maintain and fix tubeless wires.

Bob

Bob Spidell           San Jose, CA            bspidell at comcast.net