[Healeys] wire wheel questions

F Ronald Rader f.ronald.rader at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 09:35:56 MDT 2012

is this the guy that does it at his house?
ron

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 6, 2012, at 7:28 AM, Bob Spidell <bspidell at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hoo boy ...
>
> I don't have experience with 'factory' tubeless wires, but have run tubeless
for many years with 'aftermarket' seals.  In fact, I'm heading to Santa Cruz
this morning to pick up a tubeless wire that has been repaired by John Blake
of JB's Wire Wheels (John has some, uh, 'interesting' stories to tell about
Dayton and Dunlop and their owners).

> Properly applied, the seals work well (John etches the metal prior to
applying the sealant).  However, you cannot tighten the spokes or, of course,
true the wheels without breaking/removing/replacing the seal.  Also, as I just
found out the hard/expensive way, when you change tires--e.g. buy new--you run
a risk of disturbing the seal and getting leaks; I had 2 of 5 wheels have this
problem.

> To me, running tubeless is worth the hassle.  If John ever goes (completely)
out of business I may have to reconsider; there are very few people with the
expertise to maintain and fix tubeless wires.