[Healeys] Help with BT7 (new thread - I got bounced again!!!!!)

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 17:37:28 MDT 2012

OK, I'm confused. I always figured the car's speed was determined by final drive output speed, whether that speed was produced with or without O/D. IOW, if the final drive is producing 2,000RPM in straight 4th--about 45MPH, roughly--or producing 2,000RPM (final drive--at the driveshaft) in top-O/D you'd still indicate 45MPH. The only difference would be engine RPM. I don't think you need a different speedometer, as both O/D and non-O/D speedo adapters pick up the speed at final drive (in front of the front driveshaft yoke and behind the transmission and O/D if fitted). Only if you change the final drive--e.g. by changing the diff gears, wheel size, etc.--would you need a different/recalibrated speedo.

Also, I think the speedos are calibrated in 'turns per mile;' i.e. the number of turns of the cable (or adapter output) as the car travels one mile. This is important for the odometer and tripmeter, which are fixed gearing, but the speedo's indicator needle can be moved around.

Or am I full of pan sludge?

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA