[Healeys] DM6A disty query

Tracy Drummond bighealey at charter.net
Wed Aug 22 07:58:21 MDT 2012

Kees,

You are correct, almost.   You do not have to disagree with Jeff since Jeff
at Advanced Distributors does recommend and install many electronic dist
points.  He also helps those of us who still use points so he gives what the
customer wants.  So I defend Jeff, and you both.

I still use points since I have a dozen of original Lucas sets, I am a cheap
bastard, and can fix them anywhere.  When I run out of points I might change
to electronic units but will always carry one or two spares.

Warm Regards,

Tracy Drummond

Subject: Re: [Healeys] DM6A disty query

No matter how good the points are they are always inferior to a good
electronic ignition, so I strongly disagree with these guys from Advanced.
Points do wear and upset the timing and dwell angle eventually, electronic
ignition does neither of those things. The only advantage of points is that
usually the car keeps running, however bad they are and if things do go
wrong the ignition can be repaired along the road side if you have some
spares (wire, spare points and condenser) at hand. Faulty electronic
ignition just stops the sparks, so you are stuck and cannot perform any road
side repairs, unless you have a top plate with points and condenser as
spares.
If you have a high revving engine, electronic ignition is the way to go.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL