[Healeys] DM6A disty query

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Mon Aug 20 14:33:41 MDT 2012

No matter how good the points are they are always inferior to a good
electronic ignition, so I strongly disagree with these guys from
Advanced. Points do wear and upset the timing and dwell angle
eventually, electronic ignition does neither of those things. The only
advantage of points is that usually the car keeps running, however bad
they are and if things do go wrong the ignition can be repaired along
the road side if you have some spares (wire, spare points and condenser)
at hand. Faulty electronic ignition just stops the sparks, so you are
stuck and cannot perform any road side repairs, unless you have a top
plate with points and condenser as spares.
If you have a high revving engine, electronic ignition is the way to go.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL