[Healeys] 100 oil filter and element

mike brooks hypercubic at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 17 12:09:34 MDT 2012

 Help!! I'm in the middle of my first oil and filter change (first time back
home in own garage!!). My 100 has a tecalemit filter holder which takes a
FG2323 filter. How I know is it still says so on the thing. Using several
cross reference charts I have bought a Baldwin P174. It is, as I thought it
would be, a paper element. When I undid the filter holder today, out came a
very dirty and sludgy FELT element, AFAIK that should be for a Purolator
filter holder. After further investigation:-

	* In the filter head is a
circular plate held on the shaft with a circlip. but the plate is loose and
able to move up and down about 1/2".
	* There are two rubber o rings in with
the new element, same dia, one is square sectioned and one rectangular
sectioned.
	* The paper element is a bit shorter than the felt element, and
rattles up and down in the holder with the circular plate with about 1/2" end
float.
	* There was a thick circular washer, heavily ribbed on one side, and
with a tang sticking out of it diameter, fitted over the bottom shaft in the
filter holder body. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose, as it's outside
diameter is less than the inside diameter of the filter element. Anyone know
if this correct and what it's for?
Should the circular plate have a spring
behind it? If it did, I think it would hold the paper element tight.
what are
the two o rings for? They are both roughly correct size for the groove in the
filter head, but neither are a really good fit.

I will convert to a modern
spin-off filter arrangement as a last resort, but I would like to keep
original if possible.

help much appreciated

rgds

Mike Brooks