[Healeys] RM Auction Monterey - 3 Healeys for sale

Bob Spidell bspidell at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 11:10:02 MDT 2012

True enough, but the value of factory Ms has held longer than either the dot.com or housing booms, and shows no signs of abating (yet). We've had ours for about 15 years and I've followed the steady--but not 'bubbly', I 'saw' a decent one gor for $215K at an estate auction many years ago--increase in nominal value. Also, the 'muscle car craze' seems to have came and (largely) went--anyone watched B-J lately?--while M prices kept growing. I think M prices have hit their peak, and will not likely break the $200K line--in general, a few exceptions notwithstanding--and will eventually level off and decline along with all collector cars of that era. This is a rather normal product arc, not a bubble (as you are implying).

If the M pricing is a bubble we'll only know when it pops (to paraphrase a well-known investor--can't remember who). Maybe a better comparison is Apple products; glossy toys that make some people act downright silly and if you look at their margins they definitely are not 'worth' what they cost, in a strictly capitalistic sense and compared to (almost) comparable products; i.e. Android.

Bob

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA