[Healeys] Torrington roller bearings trunnion

John Harper ah at jharper.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 16 04:26:38 MDT 2011

Chris

I have fitted trunnion roller bearings to my BN1 but they may have been
a different make. I have only driven the car a few miles since a full
rebuild but so far all seems fine and with less steering effort although
this is only subjective.

I did however have a problem fitting these because they are, I believe
slightly wider (taller) than the original bronze washer pack. Therefore
the bearing was tight without any shims. On one I managed to still have
the correct clearance with no shims at all but on the other I had to
machine a small amount from the top of the stub/swivel axle.

So - just a word of warning. It may not be a simple fitting job so allow
some time for extra work.

Best regards

--
John Harper