[Healeys] Fuel Mixture

David Porter frogeye at porterscustom.com
Tue Oct 11 07:10:05 MDT 2011

I love you guys.. You keep me in business.
 These are not new engines with engine management systems to automatically
adjust for everything from temperature, air flow, vacuum, ignition timing to
altitude. They were designed to run decently under most conditions that
might be experienced. The engines were/should be run on the rich side,
certainly no less than 3% hydrocarbon. The then leaded fuel being used for
valve lubrication and cooling the valves, besides the obvious octane boost
too.
 The needles in the SU's rising and falling based on vacuum demands and the
distributer working by simple mechanical means to meet general conditions.
 Face it, they were dirty running by any description. If you try to run them
lean it will lead to problems down the road. Get used to the fact that
changing spark plugs was a necessary routine chore. There are no separate
circuits in an SU for idle or WOT (wide open throttle). One can spend hours,
no days running the car at 70MPH coasting to a stop, pulling the plugs to
examine them for mixture then installing a different needle taper to adjust
the results or one can follow the factory specifications and be secure in
the knowledge that you have a properly adjusted engine that meets most
needs.
Just saying..
dave

frogeye at porterscustom.com