[Healeys] Ethanol

Alan Seigrist healey.nut at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 19:28:39 MDT 2011

Tom -

The affects are much worse on American mechanical fuel pumps.  On my old '66
Ford Bronco, one tank with ethanol in it was enough to fry the fuel pump.  I
fried three fuel pumps putting ethanol based fuel in that car.

For LBCs, early on there were problems with HD diaphragms, but the newer
ones seem to hold up fine.  If your car has H series or HS series carbs, it
is much less of an issue.  If you have an SU pump, it will eventually fry
the pump.

The big picture is corn ethanol is a very wasteful and poor substitute for
proper fuel.

Alan