[Healeys] Overdrive solenoid

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 3 12:05:05 MDT 2011

Piet:

I've had this happen a couple of times.

Turned out to be the gearshift lever switch on the transmission - the one
that allows the overdrive to work only in the 3 -4 position.  The switch
would engage - but barely - when the transmission was cold and then either
drop out, or go in and out when everything warmed up.  The test for me was
to apply momentary pressure to the shift lever (to the right I believe - it
was a long time ago).  If the overdrive then shifts back in and holds,
simply adjust the switch at it's mount by re-shimming it so that it's closer
to the activation point so it closes reliably when the lever is in the 3-4
position.

If this turns out to be the cause, you'll probably notice a wear spot on the
ball end of the switch.  You haven't stated which Healey model you are
referring to, but the situation can happen on either the side or top-shift
transmissions.

Worked for me!

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.