[Healeys] Fiberglass Top Question

AAHealeyguy at aol.com AAHealeyguy at aol.com
Tue Jul 19 17:30:34 MDT 2011

I have a secondary market removable fiberglass hard top for my 1957 100/6
BN4 that has a lot of age-related craze cracks all over it.  None have broken
all the way through and there is no real damage but it needs refinishing.
What I am concerned about is that it very well may be from 1957 and the
manufacturer of my top may have used some old 1957 fiberglass materials and/or
methods that I should be concerned with now.   I have been led to believe
that the mid-50's Corvette & T-Birds were made of some old fiberglass
materials and methods that one needed to repair somewhat differently.   I wonder is
the same for my 1957 fiberglass top?   What are some suggestions as to where
I should take my top to have it refinished???  Will any good body shop do
or should I take it someplace special?   Should I contact some old mid-50s
Corvette or T-Bird owners/clubs as to where they take their cars/tops for
fiberglass refinishing?

Thanks in Advance.

Gerry K. (San Diego)
1957 AH 100/6  BN4