[Healeys] choke issue?

R. Cobb rcobb at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 12:05:37 MDT 2010

Since the carbs on my BJ8 were rebuilt and tuned professionally four
years ago (on the car), I've done little work on them other than keeping
the air cleaners maintained and verifying free movement of the pistons
and maintaining damper oil (ATF) level.

The car has seen little use in the past couple years and I have noticed
the following:
poor gas mileage, compared to previous consumption, and when starting,
with the choke full out, the car starts normally and runs properly for
about 10 seconds and then begins sputtering and running very ragged and
adjusting choke does not improve idle condition.  Often it will stall
and be very hard to restart.  Fuel supply is apparently not an issue,
since when unable to start note that the overflow tubes are draining.
Once it does warm up there virtually no problems.

Any suggestions as to specific potential sources of problems?  Reading
the several manuals that I have only seems to muddy the water for me.

Thanks in advance.

Bob