[Healeys] Overdrive Deceleration

Charlie Baldwin mgcharlie at comcast.net
Wed Jul 28 07:24:17 MDT 2010

Greg,
It seems that Austin-Healeys are one of the few makes that used a system
to allow the overdrive to drop out only on acceleration.  I've owned
several Volvos with Laycock overdrives, both D and J type, and there was
no provision for this on any of them.  One car that was in my possession
for a while, an MG TD with Volvo B18 engine and D type OD trans. would
actually chirp the tires if you flipped off the OD switch when
decelerating, so using the clutch made it much less harsh.  The Volvo
owner's manuals actually tell you to use the clutch if the engagement or
disengagement of the overdrive was too harsh.  No mention of damaging
the unit; they seemed to be more concerned about comfort.  The overdrive
is, of course, is one of the main parts of the drive train and Volvos of
that period were known for their longevity, more so than most any other
brand.  There is a Volvo 1800 on Long Island, NY that has over 2.5
million miles on it.  That car has a Laycock OD unit.  Volvo also
probably put more Laycock overdrives into cars than any other manufacturer.
Perhaps there is something about the A type overdrive in an
Austin-Healey that makes it more fragile, but I believe that it is very
similar to a D type, though more robust.
Charlie