[Healeys] Overdrive Deceleration

warthodson at aol.com warthodson at aol.com
Wed Jul 28 07:23:20 MDT 2010

Greg,
I haven't read the article you reference, but I can tell you that a correctly
functioning overdrive (mechanically, hydraulically & electrically) can be
engaged in 3rd or 4th gear & can operate for extended periods of time. On long
high speed trips I use 4th OD all day, except when required by the law to slow
down! I am not aware of any reasaon engine braking cannot be used when in
overdrive. Some advocate using the brakes, not the engine, to conserve the
drive line components, but that has nothing to do with the OD specifically.
Personnaly I like down shifting occasionally. It gives me a chance to practice
my heal & toe, just in case Ann Wisdom is navigating for me.
Gary Hodson