[Healeys] Overdrive Deceleration

Quinn, Patrick Patrick.Quinn at det.nsw.edu.au
Wed Jul 28 18:36:56 MDT 2010

G'day

I can't resist putting my 2 bobs worth into this discussion.

>From my experience from 39 years of Austin-Healey ownership I have found the
Laycock de Normanville to be an extremely robust piece of machinery providing
of course it is in good working order.

The thought of people being delicate with the OD I find quite amusing. An
Austin-Healey is meant to be enjoyed and driven spiritedly. Sorry but there is
no comparison between the style of driving called for from an Austin-Healey to
that of a Volvo and I don't mean any disservice to Volvo owners.

The OD cut-out switch on the BN3 is set up so that when I push the accelerator
it cuts out of OD into direct drive and thus provides instant and strong
acceleration. It's a buzz! Conversely when I am accelerating strongly in
direct top and want to change into OD it's a simple matter of flicking the
switch and momentarily lifting off. And yes I coast and slow while in gear and
OD.

The OD is one of the magic features of an Austin-Healey and you should all get
out on the open road and drive these cars as they were designed to be driven.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia