[Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut

Johnsen, Bernard F (AS) bernard.johnsen at ngc.com
Fri Sep 11 07:49:58 MDT 2009

 Hi Peter -
	I have not done either a helicoil repair or tapped for a 10 MM
bolt, but I have some thoughts about it.
Tapping for a 10mm bolt:
	The original bolt size was 3/8 by 24 IIRC. Worst case for a
stripped 3/8 bolt would be that the hole is now 3/8 inch, or .375 inch.
This is way larger than the recommended tap drill size for either 10mm
by 1.5 or 10mm by 1.25.(By at least .033 inch.) Therefore your tapped
threads will not have as much thread depth as they should for maximum
holding forces. Based on that, I do not think it is a good idea to tap
the hole for 10mm. The helicoil is probably a better solution in my
opinion.
	While you are working on the shocks, you might consider putting
hardened flat washers under each bolt to protect the aluminum shock body
mounting flanges. I think I heard about that from Bruce at Healey
Surgeons. This will require that you replace the bolts with slightly
longer ones. I believe the Nocks sell such bolts. Now I am thinking it
would not be a bad idea to drill the bolt heads and safety wire them.
	Hope this helps, and Good Luck.

- Bernie Johnsen
   1967 BJ8
   1959 PV544