[Healeys] Stripped shock mount nut

Peter Schauss schauss at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 10 20:08:38 MDT 2009

I remembered that there was a discussion about this a while back so I looked
it up in the archives.  Two cures were suggested:

1. Drill and tap the hole/captive nut and install a helicoil.

2. Drill and tap for a 10 mm bolt.

The last time that I had this problem, 10+ years ago - on the other side, I
chose option 1 which required removing the shock.  This time, I am thinking
about the 10 mm bolt option.

Can I do this without removing the shock?

Will I actually have to drill the shock and the captive nut to handle the 10
mm bolt or will the existing holes be large enough?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss