[Healeys] Just when I thought is was safe....

Gbouff1 at aol.com Gbouff1 at aol.com
Fri Oct 16 17:43:25 MDT 2009

Fellow restorers,

I purchased a 1960 BN7 from an acquaintance that was retiring to Florida,
knowing that the car had a lot of hidden sins and needed a total ground up
restoration.  He purchased the car 15 years prior and just drove it  as-is.
I've stripped it down to the last nut and bolt and I'm now in the  process
of repairing/replacing, well pretty much everything.  I've come  across a
lot of boneheaded repairs during the process.

I thought that I was done with surprises, but....

The bottom 4" of each door need to be replaced.  I've gotten somewhat
handy with a welder and body hammers so I figured that I would make my own patch
 panels.  I first made a sheet metal template from the original driver
(left  hand) door as it had no previous body work.  I then reversed it and mated
 it to the passenger door to see how close the match was.

Guess what?  The passenger door is 1/2" shorter than the driver  door!  My
best guess, judging by the poor quality of a previous extremely  low budget
restoration attempt, is that the door wouldn't fit properly and  someone
just cut off a 1/2" to fit it in the door frame.

I guess the doors are going to take a little longer than I expected.

Gary Bouffard
Working on my tan by the light of the MIG torch.

P.S.   Maybe we should start a thread on the crazy repairs made by  DPOs
that we have found while restoring our cars.