[Healeys] Ear Plugs, etc.

Kent McLean kentmclean at comcast.net
Thu Oct 8 10:24:28 MDT 2009

Steve B. Gerow wrote:
> How about custom ear buds which they sell through motorcycle and shooting sources?
>
> Are there any setups which will work with 2-way radios?

As a bike rider (BMW R1100RS), I always wear earplugs. When I don't,
I can't believe the noise level.  Someone told me about do-it-yourself
customer earplugs. I haven't tried it yet, but it's tempting.  I've
read that the custom plugs let more noise through than the cheap foam
plugs. My temptation is to mold earbuds into the foam, to have tunes
while I ride. [1]

Here's a d-i-y earplug kit; it's cheap enough to try even if it fails.
<http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=6140>

For the 2-way radio, this might work:
<http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5577>

I like Whitehorse as a vendor, since they are close to me and have
great customer service.  You can find similar products if you Google.

[1] I currently have speakers in the helmet. [2] The foam plugs keep
out the wind noise, so I use a small amplifier [3] to pump up the volume
so I can hear the MP3 player. :)

[2] speakers: <http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5577>

[3] amp: <http://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_info.php?products_id=5868>

--