[Healeys] Spedo/Cable/Angle Drive - BJ8

Peter Caldwell peter at nosimport.com
Mon Jul 27 11:52:42 MDT 2009

Having rebuilt quite a few angle drives, it is never the gear that's
at issue, it's the insert in the gear that retains the bit of cable
that goes into the transmission.  The insert can slip, but more often
the small section of cable breaks.  Usually caused by some tightness
"upstream" toward the gauge.

Bouncing is often caused by the cable end going into the speedo being
too long, and pushing the cone against the cup so that it touches
every now and again.... the bounce. The jewel bearing will wear a bit
as a result. At higher speeds, the counter spring is wound tight
enough to over come the bouncing.

Try inserting a washer or 2 at the gauge end of the cable to space
the inner cable out of the gauge a little farther. It should help the
bouncing.  Spacing the angle drive similarly will help its life span as well.

Peter C.

=