[Healeys] Brake servo

Oudesluys coudesluijs at chello.nl
Tue Jul 21 02:58:02 MDT 2009

Ge,

Possibly collapsed brake lines, although if they are that old they
should have failed the APK (MOT) years ago.
Best to replace these with Goodridge teflon/braided SS lines. No need to
change these every so often anymore. They would cost about GBP40 on Ebay
I think. I got a set for the Jensen Healey for GBP33 not to long ago.
It could be the servo as well but not that likely. They are fairly easy
to take apart. You will most likely find brake fluid inside. Clean,
derust, paint, use tough enamel paint on the inside where the leather
seal is touching, treat the leather generously with leather oil for a
few days if it is still intact, renew all rubber seals. Repair kits for
the Girling remote servo's are also available through Ebay.
New Lockheed type servo's from Powertune are available at very little
cost in various ratio's (1,6-3,0:1) through various suppliers on Ebay.
Watch the prices, they can vary quite a bit.
I have used  mgservicesheathrow  in the past, they have one or more on
offer on Ebay now:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Remote-Servo-Kit-Alfa-Romeo-CHEAPEST-ON-EBAY-89_W0QQitemZ150275973182QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item22fd25603e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|293%3A1|294%3A50
(Do not be concerned about the Alfa bit, it would be the same unit for
the Healey, 3.0:1 ratio)
I used the 1,9:1 ratio to improve the heavy clutch on my Landrover SIII.
Works fine.
I have a nasty suspicion that most new "genuine" Lockheed servo's are
from the same manufacturer as Powertune.

Cheers,
Kees Oudesluijs
NL