[Healeys] Healeys] hubs .. splines

Mark Schneider mandmschneider at comcast.net
Sun Aug 23 15:18:30 MDT 2009

Listers,

I am sorry to hear that Mark lost a front wheel back in '75 but the
advice of the police officer strikes me as an uninformed "expert".  It
is not necessary to check your wire wheels weekly.  If the wheels
splines and hub splines are both healthy and the wheel was mounted
correctly initially one shouldn't have to check them that often.  It
is my understanding that wire wheel knockoffs tend to tightena as the
car miles add up.  That's not to say it is worth giving the knockoff a
little tap now and then.  Another point prompted by Mark's entry is it
a good idea to change the hub and wheel splines as a set, ,i.e., if
you are buying a new splined wire wheel, purchase a new hub to mate
the wheel to.

Marks 3
'66 BJ8