[Healeys] Petronics

Earl Kagna kags at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 19 12:04:24 MDT 2009

James:

On some distributors where the shaft clearance - the distance between the
top of the rotor and the bottom of the centre dome of the distributor cap is
on the tight side (possibly because the distibutor has been re-bushed), the
addition of the magnet ring of the Pertronix raises the rotor enough to
close the clearance.  This will fry the rotor almost immediately - I've had
this happen.  If this is the cause, the next rotor will also fail quickly,
but not necessarily 2 blocks from home!

There is usually evidence of this - look at the top of the rotor where the
carbon contact rides and it will be obvious.  I have fixed this on one car
by gently grinding down the centre dome of the cap - with the carbon and
spring removed, thinking that to mess with the rotor in order to lower it
was not a good idea what with all the recent rotor difficulties that we've
had.  The downside - any spare or replacement distributor cap has to be
similarly modified, and sometimes it will be years later before that
happens, so remembering to do it might be a problem.

Listers should note that I and a few other people feel that this clearance
problem may be contributing to the rotor failure problem - at least in some
cases.  In other words, it may not always be a dud rotor.  This also may be
why the propblem seems to be cured when some people revert to points, and
the problem goes away.

Any others out there that can comment?

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.