[Healeys] Luggage Rack

Rick Swain rjswain at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 11 17:21:32 MST 2008

Thanks to all who responded to my questions about concerns over the
factory-style luggage rack. Since some of the replies came to me alone and not
the list, I thought I'd share the information.First of all, it seems that the
fellow I talked to who tried to persuade me not to install one of these racks
is the only person with negative comments about them. I even telephoned the
person he gave his rack to (he said "gave"; the new owner said he paid $200
for it) and he thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. One reply
came from a dealer who has installed about 15 factory-style racks with no
complaints about chrome wearing off the bumper or wear in the hinge pin holes.
He did say that no two racks seem to fit the same but the beauty of this rack
is no weight on the trunk lid. Another respondent said that he had used one of
these racks for over 5 years with no problems and highly recommended them.Two
people suggested the Cape racks and both had them on their cars for several
years. Although they are pricey one commented that the exchange rate is good
at the moment. It might be good if you're an American but unfortunately I work
with Canadian dollars. I got a comment from someone who saw the response about
the Cape racks and he experienced paint wear under the rear attachments.One
person suggested trying to find an Amco rack that mounted with rubber suction
cups to which someone else commented that the suction cups were hard on paint.
He also advised against the Amco permanent racks because they are a PITA.One
person suggested the Holden factory-style rack. I checked and the price was
good - little more than half the price of a Cape rack.Someone suggested I
forget a rack and consider a small trailer.That's about it. Lot's to think
about and, apart from my friend, nothing negative about the factory luggage
rack. I'm leaning in that direction.CheersRick'59 BN4 - hopefully restoration
will be completed in time to use a luggage rack next summer