[Healeys] BN2 tranmission question

Bert Van Brande bertvanbrande at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 7 12:20:19 MST 2008

Hi List,

What is the best method to remove the large nut from a 4-speed side-shifter input shaft.  This is for a BN2, I don't want to take any risks here as I believe they are absolutely NLA.  The input shaft is out of the trans.

I believe there is just a bond between the nut and shaft from 52 years of immobility and some oxidation, the shaft was not really rusted, the box was taken out of commission with a broken OD, stored under a workbench here in dry California. The transmission has all signs of low mileage, just a couple nicks on the 1st/reverse (which I'll clean up a bit).

I used heat, PB blaster, WD 40 and I usually repeat this process, coming back to it every couple of days.  I am considering putting the input shaft in the clutch/engine but I don't want to break anything.

I am replacing synchros, needles, thrust washers, layshaft, balls, springs,  etc so I like to replace this (original) bearing as well.

The front bearing surface of the input shaft, which goes into the pilot bearing has no pits or nicks but has some discoloration from oxidation.  A machine shop could turn this to the next available ID of the bushing.  But then this is out of spec, do I just clean this up?

All advice appreciated

Bert