[Healeys] Speedo question

Greg Lemon glemon at neb.rr.com
Sat Sep 15 12:20:40 MDT 2007

Jorge, it it is bouncing around measuring speed while you are not moving
that is indeed odd, if it is just stuck at a certain MPH and not moving not
so odd.

Check the cable first, it is easier to work on, sometimes a washer between
the cable and the guage (has to be just the right inside and outside
diameter) helps these problems.

First thing I would do is when it is measuring speed when you are not
moving--move the cable angle as it enters the housing a bit, this may show
it is not coming in at a goood angle, also loosen the cable off of the guage
a bit and see if it loosens up and  goes down on its own.

You can also drive the car on the road or on jack stands with the cable
detached and see if it is turning smoothly or faster/slower.

Sometimes these issues can be worked out with cable routing/angles, or the
washer trick or how tight/loose the attachments on both ends are, sometimes
a new cable.

If it is the guage you will need more help than my modest talents can
provide.

Greg Lemon
54 BN1