[Healeys] reflector brake light-NIFTY UPGRADE-

Ken Wignall ourxke at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 15 12:46:46 MDT 2007

I read about the upgrade a lister posted recently to use LED technology and
install  very high intensity bulbs, that last forever and never get hot, into
the rear reflectors of my 61 BT7. I also ordered the bayonet pigtailed sockets
along with them. Great idea except for one little glitch-They only work on
negative ground!  I hooked them up to my car 2 days ago to see how strong the
light is and 'no go'. I assumed they worked with both positive and negative
earth, and didn't try grounding to negative earth. I still want to use these
bulbs, especially after a fellow drivers' club member, with a Triumph, was
rear ended on a summer evening earlier this year while waiting for a light to
change. It was a 'hit and run' to boot and they never caught the culprit.  ANY
additional lighting back there is a real plus. So, I think it is time to
convert to negative earth (ground). I know I have to reverse the coil wires,
and change the polarity of the generator. Am I leaving anything out? I haven't
done a polarity reversal for some time now- can someone recite the procedure
for me? Thanks

Ken Wignall