[Fot] Hoosier Tire Temperature

Ponostyle ponobill at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 07:23:26 MDT 2021

If you get serious about making your car handle optimally for whatever the suspension is capable of delivering, tire temperatures are one of the inputs you need to consider. The information available in temperature readings gets swamped if you have too much toe in, bump steering or camber gain because all of these will heat different areas of the tire in random ways. If you have those factors under some kind of control then tire temperature can be used to set both pressure and optimize camber for a given tire. If you do a lap with your tire pressure intentionally set low you can use the temperature of the inside and outside edges to set your camber. The temperatures need to be read as soon as you stop and are best taken after a long sweeper, or even better on a skid pad. You skid pad can be any paved surface with enough space to run in a circle at reasonably high speed where you won’t get arrested for such shenanigans. Equalize the temperatures with camber adjustment.

Then hit the track or skid pad again and get a new set of readings. If inside and outside remain close but the center is hotter, reduce pressure, if it’s colder, increase pressure. test again. You’ll never get it completely even across the tire, but if you’re reasonably close, then the entire tire is providing traction. What that pressure is, is a function of the weight of your car, the width of the tire, and it’s construction.

When I was switching back and forth between bias ply tires and radials to run with different organizations, getting the camber and pressure right made a huge difference. On Hoosier Speedsters Peyote did best at 22-23 pounds. The difference could be as much as 2 seconds a lap at tracks like PIR.

Bill Babcock
Beach Bum
bill at ponostyle.com
https://www.Ponostyle.com