[Fot] GT6 cam

Robert Lang robertlangtr6 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 25 04:09:07 MDT 2020

 Hi,
You probably got a few responses off list too, but I have direct experience with the two cams mentions, the Piper BP 270 and the Goodparts GP3. My experience is 100%TR6, but the numbers do transfer to GT6, IMHO.

The BP270 has a super-flat torque curve. I ran that cam for around 10 years in a race-only autocross car eventually pushing the c/r to 12:1 and on a chassis dyno it got up to about 150 lb/ft of torque.
I switched to the Goodparts GP3 in order to try to build in some higher end HP. With the GP3 and 12:1, I got almost the same torque, but HP was up about 10 HP, all of it at the upper end (4000 to 6000 RPM).
For a street car, I would not go a lot more than 280 degrees seat to seat valve timing. Any more than that and the engine go off song under 2500 RPM. This really matters for a street car!!! So, if the car is driven on the street at all, do not go "hairy" on the cam. You will regret it.
Good luck deciding.
Regards,Bob Lang