[Fot] Spark plugs

Scott Janzen sjanzen at me.com
Fri Jun 22 12:07:23 MDT 2018

In my race GT6, I’m currently running a champion c59YC - a pretty cool plug.  That’s 11.5:1 compression, constant high revs (4.5-7k), 110 octane.  I just had it on a chassis dyno and one thing I learned that was interesting - I had been running plug gaps in the 0.026 range (stock).  The guys at the shop asked a few questions, and said, you should be running about 0.035”. I bumped it up to that and picked up 4 HP.
In the prior motor, different cam but mostly all else equal, I was running two heat ranges higher with no issues.
Not sure that helps much for your car - look at where your current plugs are in the range and perhaps go up a notch or two.  The NGK article is helpful.  Might be that your float level is too high or the jets are too rich.
Going to the dyno with a range of jets, plugs, and a timing light has helped me find 5-10% more power over the years.  My local tuning/race shop will give me 2-3 hours for about $200.  I do my own adjustments, and I go there every time with a new engine to do break-in pulls - much cheaper than having a new engine failure at the track.