[Fot] TR brake pad wear and caliper rebuild inquiry

Dave dlhogye at comcast.net
Mon Jun 25 14:18:46 MDT 2018

Hello Friends,
Kas discusses uneven brake pad wear in one of his books.  I have been monitoring brake pad wear and the wear angle.  After 4 events on a set of Carbotech pads, there is as much as .060 wear angle diagonally across the pads.
After the last event, it seemed that the right brake was dragging more.
I decided to tear into the matter.
I separated the caliper halves and found that the rotors have made contact with the calipers on the top outside half.  Both calipers have the same contact scrape pattern.  There is at least 1/8" clearance between the rotor and caliper normally.  During the first couple of years racing, I didn't use the spacers between the front bearings, but I do run the heavy duty stub axles.  It is possible that the rotor was making contact with the rotor during that time.  I'll have to dress the scrape marks to monitor further contact.  Obviously there is a lot of deflection and torquing going on.
I would like to purchase the parts to rebuild the calipers and I see that the pistons are available in different materials from Moss.  There are two pistons that have nicks in them, otherwise I would not replace the pistons.  I don't think the nitrided pistons are necessary, but I would appreciate recommendations for the best parts and suppliers.  I imagine that the rubber seals are probably the same from all suppliers, but one never knows.  Again, recommendations are appreciated.
Also, I'd like to keep the pads as true as possible from now on, between events.  I have tried a grinding stone on my drill press.  Any thoughts about truing the pads?
I've attached a photo of the scrape marks in the caliper halves.  Has anyone noticed this before?
Thanks,
 Dave H.