[Fot] Ignition Coil ??

TeriAnn J. Wakeman tjwakeman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 06:17:10 MDT 2018

On 8/20/18 6:50 PM, Bob Totten via Fot wrote:
> Amici,
>
> So this weekend I believe my 2 year old coil crapped out, last run at
> Saturdays autocross there was sputtering and backfire.  At home barely
> could get the car off the trailer and into the garage.
That is also the symptom of a bad condenser. If it were me, unless there
is something visibly wrong with the coil, I would first check the point
gap, underside of the cap, and swap out the condenser before going out
and buying a new coil.

Currently an Epoxy Pertronix black coil, with Ballast Resistor, in a
Spitfire with a 1500 engine 11 to 1 comp and a Mallory Dual Point
Distributor.

I'm running a Mallory distributor as well, and it used to go through
condensers on a regular basis. The ignition circuit assumes a good
ground through the distributor body. My car's distributor body wasn't
making a good enough ground. after a while I added a ground wire between
the distributor body and the engine. Since then I have not needed to
touch my onboard spare condensers.

TeriAnn

--

Book - The Essential Guide to Overland Travel in the United States and
Canada <http://overlandtravel.us>

*Because the world beckons and life waits for no one*