[Fot] Dual Valve Springs (Update)

Tylerpthompson tylerpthompson at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 25 17:16:07 MDT 2012

After using the cord method to keep the valves closed as recommended by Kas, I
removed one very broken inner exhaust spring and a torn up shim in number 4.
I did a leak down before I started and all was good. Surprised to find rubber
valve seats and bronze guides!

Then I noticed a few other inner springs that were suspect and ended up
pulling the head.

Found that 6 of 8 inner valve springs were broken.  Pulled the lifters and
found pitting on 3 lifter faces. I would expect that the previous owner's
engine builder did not get the rocker geometry right or put together their own
spring set up with the inners being a bit too long.

At this point, I am going to replace/upgrade the lifters, get rid of the Paeco
cam, and put in the Isky valve springs I got from Jim Gray so that I know what
I have.

Thx for the help folks.

Ty

>> > From: Tylerpthompson at yahoo.com
>> > Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2012 09:10:15 -0600
>> > To: fot at autox.team.net
>> > Subject: [Fot] Dual Valve Springs
>> >
>> > I had a miss at high rpms. My distributor had a lot of wobble at the top
of
>> > the shaft so replaced it. Although it ran stronger at low speeds, the
miss at
>> > high rpms was still there. I pulled the valve cover and found the number
4
>> > inner valve spring was broken. Thanks to Jim Gray (again) for suggesting
>> > check this.
>> >
>> > I am wondering what may have caused this. I am also wondering if I
should
>> > pull the head to see if it caused any damage but since it ran very smooth
at
>> > low rpms, I am thinking I was just getting some valve float at high
rpms.

>> > I am going to replace all the springs at this point to make sure. I think
>> > can raise the piston to TDC for each cylinder, and use the valve spring
>> > compressor for on head removal. Have others done spring replacements this
way
>> > or should I just pull the head?
>> >
>> > Finally, what springs do folks use? In searching the web, it seems rare
>> > see a valve spring break, but I have not heard what experiences other
FOT