[Fot] Measuring the liner "stick out" above the block on the TR4 engine

Tim Murphy timmurph at fastbytes.com
Mon Jun 25 19:10:30 MDT 2012

This is just a "For What it's Worth" for those faced with replacing the wet
liners.

When I replaced the liners on our engine back in 2008 I had a difficult time
measuring the .004 to .005 stick out above the block.  Apparently I got it
right because we had no problems.  Shortly after finishing that job I saw an
"indicator holder" that looked like it would make the job pretty simple and
give accurate, repeatable results very quickly.  The tool is made by Moroso,
the part number is MOR-62050 and it can be seen at www.summitracing.com
website.  It's basically a "U" shaped bracket about 1 inch wide and 1/2 inch
thick with 3 holes to mount an indicator in one of the 3 positions.  It is
just long enough to bridge the liner.  With a 1 inch travel dial indicator
mounted it was a simple matter to measure the stick out and get very
repeatable results.  I had zeroed the indicator on a ground bar so I had a
good known zero.

                The bottoms of the "legs" of the "U" were milled surfaces
that looked a bit rough so I polished them to a ground finish with emery and
crocus cloth.  The one concern I still have is that the top of our 50 year
old block is not in the best of shape as far as being a "qualified surface"
from which to make a measurement.  The best I could do was to polish the
block a little bit at the points the indicator holder sat on it.

Tim