[Fot] Dual Valve Springs

Tylerpthompson at yahoo.com Tylerpthompson at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 09:10:15 MDT 2012

I had a miss at high rpms.  My distributor had a lot of wobble at the top of
the shaft so replaced it. Although it ran stronger at low speeds, the miss at
high rpms was still there. I pulled the valve cover and found the number 4
inner valve spring was broken. Thanks to Jim Gray (again) for suggesting I
check this.

I am wondering what may have caused this.  I am also wondering if I should
pull the head to see if it caused any damage but since it ran very smooth at
low rpms, I am thinking I was just getting some valve float at high rpms.

I am going to replace all the springs at this point to make sure.  I think I
can raise the piston to TDC for each cylinder, and use the valve spring
compressor for on head removal.  Have others done spring replacements this way
or should I just pull the head?

Finally, what springs do folks use?  In searching the web, it seems rare to
see a valve spring break, but I have not heard what experiences other FOT
users have had. I have a Paeco 6600 rpm cam, titanium retainers, and chrome
moly push rods as well as a rebuilt rocker assembly, but those roller rockers
sure do look nice!

Thanks in advance for your helpful advice and Happy Fathers Day to all the
dads out there.

Ty

Sent from my iPad