[Fot] TR3 roll bar or roll cage

Greg & Alison Blake ablake2 at austin.rr.com
Mon Mar 12 22:32:58 MDT 2007

At what point do you consider roll over protection a roll cage vs a roll
bar.

As an example, if I were to use a single main hoop full width, rearward
braces on each leg of the main hoop, a diagonal brace for the main hoop,
an under-dash front hoop, and a forward diagonal from the main hoop to
the base of the front hoop.  Would this qualify as a Roll Cage in
Appendix Z?  Appendix Z seems to require the front hoop to be above the
steering wheel, doesn't it?  My preference is to stay under the scuttle
which brings me back to classifying this as a roll bar with 1.75" x
0.120 DOM???  Can I call this a roll cage and use 1.5" x 0.095?

Are there any rule changes in the wind I should be aware of before going
down this path?

Can you use smaller tubing for the secondary members?

I would like to make the forward diagonal brace removable so I can have
a passenger in the car on non race weekends.  Does anyone have a good
sketch or picture of the double lug design referred to or a good
alternate?

I have seen some rather pricy tubing benders on the market, anyone
thought of a homemade bender for the occasional user?

My plan is to drive with CVAR.

TR3 guys, if you have pictures of your protection, I would love to see
them.

Thanks,

Greg