[Roadsters] Electrical problem continued

Paul Kort paulsdatsunstuff at gmail.com
Wed May 17 07:27:25 MDT 2017

  Over the 20 years I had my 1600, I think I shared every electrical
problem possible.  Bad grounds seems to be the place to start.  My wipers
didn't work, turned out to be a bad switch.  When the fuse box started
heating the car, I soaked it in baking soda & water to clean the corrosion,
and then tightened the rivets with a hammer & punch.  That fixed it.  My
side lights never did work for the first 18 years,  I finally drilled out
the old light sockets and stuffed in new ones.  there is a good write up
on-line that runs through the how to and talks about what sockets to buy.
I once tried to use the stock wiring for some driving lights.  Thankfully I
turned them off before I set fire to the whole harness.  Wound up wiring in
a whole new circuit with it's own relay.
  The worst was when my parking lights up front refused to come on after a
winters nap.  I drove up to the race barn where three of us worked most of
the day.  By evening, I had no lights at all.  Four weeks later, I drove
back home with a whole different dash harness, stolen from a '69 2000.
There were so many splices in the old harness that I bought a shadow box,
backed it with a wiring diagram, and stuffed in what was left of the old
harness.  It hangs on the wall in my office as a reminder of how NOT to fix
the problem.

Paul
now roadsterless in Ohio