[Roadsters] fuse box as a cooking surface

O'Farrell, Fergus P [US] (AS) Fergus.OFarrell at ngc.com
Tue May 16 15:07:25 MDT 2017

Sorry for the humor in the title, but I have lived thru electrical frustrations, and received untold amount of helpful pointers / diagnostics from folks here on the list (Pat Horne, Fred Katz, John Sandhoff, etc).  So I feel your pain.
While futzy rivet connections can be a heat source, 4 burnt boxes in a row kinda indicates something more.

In my case, once I replaced the underhood harness, having found there had been a headlite wiring fire, and someone decide that wires burnt down to the strands could be "re-insulated" using only gobs of electrical tape.

Then in my infinite electrical wisdom.... (NOT!)  I cleaned every light bulb socket, but also got the side markers working.... By wiring in an "extra ground" into one of them.
But 69 in many cases is switched ground, so an extra ones means a short...)
2 years of struggling with a 350 degree fuse in an aux wired, blade fuse add on jumper, I realized that it had all started with my "clean up work".
Once the ground (aka: short) was disconnected, all temps went back to normal.

Having contorted myself into a pretzel once before to clean headlite switch of all gunk, I am now going to use the recommended relay install, (Moss Motors MGB kit)
and run the headlites off a secondary fusebox under the hood, that will probably be accommodating an electric fan as well.

Electrical diagnosis value: Zero.
But am feeling your pain and suggest that some advice /tricks on finding the short are needed before another fusebox is sacrificed.

Fergus O
69 2000
Going on the SoCal Cycle TT this weekend as a "4 wheeled observer".... Twisties be forewarned.