[Roadsters] Mr. K's 104th Birthday

Scott Sheeler poontang188 at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 11 07:46:41 MDT 2013

Resurrecting and email sent a number of years ago, I think we should make the
gesture again....

To members of the Roadster List and other friends:

It has occured to me that everyone who has enjoyed, or is enjoying, a Datsun
roadster - in any shape or condition - should understand its roots. Without
being long-winded (but I probably will be), the Datsun roadster owes a great
deal, if not all, of its success to Mr. Yutaka Katayama - "Mr. K." as he has
come to be called.

Rob Beddington of fairlady.org writes:

"If you do a website search of 'Katayama' on www.fairlady.org you will see
that not only was Mr K the driving force behind roadster racing in the USA but
his acts of support to individuals and teams at grass roots level were
legendary.

Among many acts of generosity (and corporate shrewdness) Mr K. gave Bob Sharp
5 'salt-damaged' Datsun 2000s on the East Coast in recognition of his success
with the 1500 and 1600, he by-passed an unhappy Dick Roberts at the Datsun's
Competition department to arrange the two 2000's for Pete Brock direct from
Japan, and he gave Jack Scoville an engine for the car that went
on to win the Datsun
 2000 its first national championship.

So without Mr K there would have been no BRE roadster team (so no BRE 510 or
240Z), much less of a racing heritage, which is still recognised today, and of
course, less Datsuns on the road - "race on Sunday, sell on Monday."

Thanks, Rob.

On September 15, 2006 Mr. K will be 104 years old.  I would like to ask
everyone on the list to send Mr. K an email birthday wish - nothing fancy -
just

Subject - "Happy Birthday"
"Mr. Katayama, thank you for your years of support for the Datsun roadster -
my roadster has given me a lot of enjoyment and great times. Best wishes on
your 104th birthday" or something like that.

His secretary had said in the past that attachments cannot be received so the
"shorter the better" and no pictures.

The email address: mr.k at able.ocn.ne.jp

It won't take long and will be a nice gesture to a man who, 53
 years ago,
laid the groundwork for the reason this "list" even exists.

Folks in North America, please remember to send it on September 14 since that
will September 15 in Japan.

Thanks in advance for the support.

Scott Sheeler

http://thedatsunroadsterbook.com/