[Roadsters] braking

Gordon Maness gordon.e.maness at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 31 23:33:55 MDT 2013

Make sure that the front rotors are not glazed as well.I did that to a set,
the car would not stop for crap.Had to plan your stops till I got them
replace.

> From: granvillecomputing at hotmail.com
> To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
> Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:05:09 -0700
> Subject: Re: [Roadsters] braking
>
> Dave.You mentioned installing DOT 5 - did you flush the system before
adding
> (I think acetone? is the preferred material.As to turning the wheels with
> brakes applied, if you weighed 2200 lbs and were travelling at 10-15 MPH -
you
> MIGHT just be able to turn them <G>
> After 5 years of little to no use - I would 1st advise adjusting the rears
(as
> Bob suggested) (tighten til the wheel sticks and back off one flat. Re bleed
-
> starting at driver rear then passengers, then front then cylinders and
> recheck.If still not up to snuff - then gotta tear everything down - check
all
> seals and frankly replace the lot. Check for pitting on the  cylinder walls
of
> the calipers (some pitting on the BASE of the cylinder is not too critical)
> IMHO - the standard brakes are more than adequate for some quite serious
> driving - but have a tendency to fade if used hard on downhill twisties.
> FWIWPeter Harrison
> 818 448 3181
>

> > From: rksmith46 at hotmail.com
> > To: datsun-roadsters at autox.team.net
> > Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 22:09:44 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [Roadsters] braking
> >
> > hi,   ck. the rear brk. shoe adjustment. a few quarter turns on each
> > side can
> > make a difference  in pedal height and pressure.  like others have said,
> the
> > roadster has manual brakes, and arent near as good as the newer cars.
> > if you can lock up the brakes on a panic stop,(or at least make them
> > screech a little). they are O.K. (for roadster brakes).
> > make sure the front calipers arent sticking, and the rears arent TOO
> > tight, as the pads and shoes can overheat.   old frt. calipers
> > can be sticky, and drag some.   i think i read some where that
> > dot 5 silicone fluid, has more compressability than reg. dot
> > 3&4 fluid.     the pedal might be firmer if you switch to reg. fluid.
best

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/rksmith46@hotmail.com

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/datsun-roadsters/granvillecomputing@hot