[Roadsters] leaking steering box question

Gary and Cindy Ault aultgc at att.net
Thu Jul 4 22:27:02 MDT 2013

I assume your car is pre-1969, and therefore has a worm and roller (Type A)
steering box, although I think a similar repair on a Type B box will be
pretty much the same.

There is an oil seal on the bottom of the box where the shaft exists and the
Pittman arm is attached.  Good chance that is the source of your leak.
Unfortunately, it is not easy to correct, as you'll need to 1) disconnect
the cross rod joint and tie rod end from the Pittman arm, and 2) remove the
Pittman arm from the steering shaft.  Remove the top of the steering box.
Disconnect the steering U-joint and pull the steering column backward into
the car about six inches.  Remove the rear (traingular shaped) cover, and
withdraw the worm gear.  Then you can withdraw the steering shaft from the
steering box through the top of the box..  Pry out the seal and install a
new one, then put things back together.  That's what I recall without
looking at the exploded diagram.  You may be able to do all this with the
box in the car, but it's easier with the box removed.  That said, removing
the box with the radiator and all the other stuff up front in place was a
real bear.

I once bought a used Type A box on eBay which was said to be tight and have
no apparent wear in the worm gear.  The seller was correct on those points,
but the box was not filled with gear oil as Nissan intended, but rather was
packed with lithium moly grease.  That might have worked OK, but I cleaned
it out, and, presuming that the grease was put in because the lower seal was
leaking and the owner didn't want to pull the box apart, I pulled the box
apart, cleaned out the grease, replaced the lower seal and installed it in
my '67-1/2 2000.  Works fine.  You could try the grease trick -- I'm just
one for keeping things the way the factory intended.  As long as you get
enough grease into the box to assure good pubrication between the worm gear
and roller, it may work.

If you want further discussion, contact me off List.

Gary