[Roadsters] 2350 stroker (was "Best bucket seats for a roadster?")

Nolan nolan at mortarsprayer.com
Tue Aug 7 12:17:48 MDT 2012

Hello Pete,
Thanks for writing.

It is a U20 built by Vern Colvin. His daughter Renee was my sweetheart in
school. Vern sold me his roadster and then built the stroker motor for it.

The block was bored, o-ringed and detailed. It has Chevy Cosworth pistons.
The crank was welded, machined, shotpeened and double nitrided.  The head
work was pretty neat with all the inside radiuses detailed like a golf ball
with dimples. Larger Ford valves were used for better air flow. The rocker
arms were lightened and reshaped. It has a Delong cam and an internal spray
oiler. 50mm Solex side drafts.
The rods were a special heavy duty rod that were hand lightened. Everything
was balanced.
Lots of other little details went into the motor. It was great fun to drive
with the 3" side exhaust that has nothing more than an auger swirl for a
muffler. Three foot balls of flame explode out the exhaust when the
throttles are closed at 7200 rpm between shifts. Since I sat right next to
the explosion, the memory still makes me pucker and grin.

I guess I am starting to get excited about this just like my son.

All my best,
Nolan