[Roadsters] 2350 stroker (was "Best bucket seats for a roadster?")

Nolan nolan at mortarsprayer.com
Tue Aug 7 13:26:43 MDT 2012

Hello Pete,
Yes it was my daily driver (when I was younger and full of energy). At the
time it didn't seem like an inconvenience to swap a 5 speed or change the
rear end ratio over a weekend to get ready for the next adventure.

The main reason the car shoots flames is the high vacuum created as the
throttles shut. This sucks an extra gulp of raw fuel. The overlap of the cam
and the straight exhaust all play nicely together. The ball of flame is one
of the highlights. I always tried to have an opponent to my left in a drag
race. They often would back out at the 2-3 shift when they saw the flash
between us.

In a cheater motor that was built for a customer (and never raced:) ) the
bores of the R16 were offset to allow for a little larger piston. My
knowledge is over 25 years old (not current) but, if you are looking for
more power, I would suggest doing anything you can to start with a larger
displacement engine.

The 4.40 LS rear end gave amazing performance in town and tight twisty roads
but probably not much more than a hundred miles an hour on the highway in
5th gear wound tight.
The 3.89 rear end in the SPL311 was a nice compromise of acceleration and
top speed. With the 3.89 I could get to the 7200 rpm redline fairly quickly
in 5th. With the 3.7 we picked up top speed but it took too much road to get
there.

Take care,
Nolan